-->

Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Talented Baker Discovered - Shares Her Secrets





















I had the opportunity to recently to interview the newly discovered baking prodigy as she showed off her current specialty: "Amish White Bread".

LJTW: Thank you for being here. That bread smells wonderful.
MPC: Thank you, I just made a couple of loaves of my Amish White Bread.

LJTW: So tell me, when did you start cooking?
MPC: My first cooking memory is when I was 6 and attempted to make French Toast in the toaster. I've improved a bit since then.


LJTW: I certainly agree with that! What inspired you to start baking?
MPC: One day I just decided that "I wanted to cook!"


LJTW: What is your favorite item to cook?




MPC: You're looking at it, my Amish White Bread.



LJTW: Can you tell me about the process for making your now famous bread?
MPC: Basically I follow the recipe, but I make some minor changes to the amounts of the ingredients and my special secret is to use the Kitchen Aid mixer first and then knead by hand.

LJTW: Can we share the recipe with my readers?
MPC: OK, here it is:


Amish White Bread


Ingredients:



  • 2 cups warm water (110 F)
  • 2/3 cups white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour
Directions:



  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water. Stir in yeast. Allow to proof until it resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl and turn doughto coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough has risen 1 inch above the pans.
  4. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
  5. Makes 2 loaves.
LJTW: Thank you for sharing. What will be your next great cooking creation?
MPC: I'm planning on making my grandmother's recipe for Cinnamon Rolls.

LJTW: One last question: Is this a hobby or will it be a possible career choice?
MPC: Although I enjoy cooking, it's just a hobby for me.

LJTW: Thanks, It has been great talking with you today.
MPC: You're welcome!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.